fertilepriest

Hello, Im trying to make a talking animation. I want to do so by creating various mouth shapes that when played simulate talking.

However in the animation process I am unable to find a way to have them show one mouth (well I can hide them, but that doesnt work for the animation since you need to see the mouths change)

For example its supposed to show:
mouth neutral > mouth open slightly > mouth open more > mouth closing > mouth neutral

right now it has all mouths attached and shows all mouths. I cant find a way to change the mouths during the animation.
I tried attaching them to a seperate "mouth" bone but that didnt help either.

Are you supposed to detach these from all bones entirely and do them as a separate animation?

its probably something really obvious Im missing because Ive seen people do similar things but nobody explains how, that I can find.
fertilepriest

Erikari

Hi fertilepriest!
To switch mouths during an animation you just need to place all the mouths attachments into the same slot, then during the animation click on the visibility dot of a different mouth to switch to it.

A different story is if you want to deform the mouth shape to become a different shape. In that case you might want to try making a more universal mouth made of various meshes (upper lip, lower lip, inside of the mouth, etc.) that you'd control by placing bones for example no the sides of the lips etc.

If you still want to use the differently shaped mouths without meshes, you can always attach them to a bone and deform that bone by scaling it/shearing/etc. to create the illusion that the mouth is changing shape.
Erikari

Erikari

fertilepriest

thankyou, those are good ideas that I will apply! It seems I was using slots wrong, I found a work around with the color slider by making them invisible and only appear when needed but the slots looks even better to use.

The meshes thing is also great and will be useful for other parts I need to animate but in this case I really needed the mouth to change since they are so different.
Thanks
fertilepriest

Return to Editor