Celestient

Hello all!

I'm fairly new to the use of Spine (and this is my first forum post) so please bear with me if this is a problem with a simple solution.

I am trying to animate a character whose hands are chained together. Is there any way that i can set a string of bones and have the top 'link' connect to one object and the bottom 'link' connect to another? The only solution that seems to work in any capacity is having the entire chain be a meshed item and making it so that one string of bones is connected to one hand and a single bone is connected to the other, but I wanted to know from others more experiences in spine than I am if there is a solution that I have not discovered yet (I tried using constraints to no avail.)
Celestient

Erikari

Excuse me Celestien, but how exactly are they chained together? are they holding a weapon? do they literally have a chain around them? can you post the art/an example of the scheme you had in mind? (: I'm sure we'll find a way to make a nice setup
Erikari

Erikari

Celestient

Oh, awesome, a reply!

Attached are the concepts that I made for the character (I'm working on the final result now), and my attempt to make this work, and the problems that ensued.
The idea is a lengthy chain connecting both hands. I tried making individual links, and currently have it as a mesh that warps. The issue is getting it to attach to both hands. Is this possible?
Attachments
2017-10-12.pngMy attempt to link the chain together.
Mirus Concepts.pngConcept art
Celestient

Nate

It's an interesting problem. It could be a path, which you can bind to each hand using the Weights view. Since a chain is rigid though, you'd need to keep the path the same length during animations. Or, maybe you could setup the chain to scale, even though a physical chain would be rigid, then still try to keep the chain the right length during animations. This way, if you mess up a little and your path is too long or short, it won't be as noticeable.
Nate

Nate

Celestient

So I should make it a path constraint then? Would it have to work like the stretchy-man or the tank in the paths video? I got the basics of how Spine works relatively quickly (I came from working with Spriter), and I'm still working on picking up the advanced stuff, other than transform constraints, so having something to look at to figure things out from there would be very helpful.

Thank you guys so much for your fast replies!
Celestient

Erikari

Having a path constraint solely for the chain I think is good!
You can then bind the path to the hands and maybe add a couple extra bones to control in an easier way the chain. I suggest giving a look both to the tank project to see how to setup a chain and stretchyman to see how to bind a path to bones (:
Erikari

Erikari

Celestient

Awesome! Thank you so much guys!
Celestient

Return to Editor