Hey Guys,

I'm using Spine with Unity3D here. I'm new to Spine and enjoying it so far.

I've run into a little problem. One of my animation changes the visibility of two images. As an analogy, say my animation has 10 key frames. Before the start of the animation, object A is visible and object B is invisible. On key frame 8, it reverses: object B becomes visible and object A becomes invisible. This is set by clicking the visibility dot (under the column with the eye icon) in the Hierarchy view in the Spine editor.

More than 95% of the time, the visibility works as expect. That is, object B becomes visible and object A invisible near the end of the animation. However, < 5% of the time, object A stays visible and object B invisible even until after the animation is finished. There is only one other animation running at the same time for this very same Game Object, specifically the "Run" animation. There are absolutely no key frames in the "Run" animation that controls visibility on object A and B, hence the inconsistency shouldn't be caused by "Run".

It almost seems as if the key frame in the animation in which I inverse object A & B's visibility has been missed or skipped duration run time.

Temporary Solution: I've added quite a few more key frames that set object A & B's visibility the same way as key frame 8. That is, I copied key frame 8 and pasted it onto 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7. This seems to have solved the problem.

The purpose for my post is:
1) To confirm that key frames in animations do indeed get skipped/missed during run time occasionally, or if the cause is something else that I'm unaware of. This information will help me down the road. Is this already a known issue? I didn't find anyone mentioning this in a brief search.
2) Hopefully inform the next person who runs into this issue, so they don't have to keep guessing.

Thanks :beer:
  • Posts: 12


Have you heard back or found out more info into this? I have a similar issue.....

I have animated a blend between two image assets.
I have an image of a dog's head (front-on) that fades to transparency. At the same time, I fade in the 2nd image of a dog's head (in profile), from transparency to opaque.
Looks great in Spine.

I export to Unity (4.6.2) and see in the Preview pane that the first run of the animation displays fine [fig 1], but the 2nd run (or looping display) is missing the profile head asset [fig 2].
Finally, when he reaches the top, the front-on head asset appears [fig 3].

fig 1.png

fig 2.png

fig 3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Posts: 3


I have not heard back regarding this post, nor did I find out what was wrong, so I just stuck with my "temporary solution" as stated above. Have you given that a shot (key-framing the desired visibility over a number of consecutive frames, say 4)?


Just coming back to report that I've switched from using Spine's Mecanim interface for Unity to controlling animations through code. That is, from the Spine-imported SkeletonData.asset in Unity, instead of instantiating a Mecanim object, I instantiate the SkeletonAnimation object.

I no longer have the problem I've described in the original post. I went back to delete those redundant key frames (as described in my "Temporary Solution") that repeated the desired visibility of images over the length of several frames. I am left with just one key frame that specifies image visibility whenever needed, and that is all I need now. It appears that my original problem is associated with using the Mecanim approach.
  • Posts: 12

Return to Editor