tjbrunetto

Hi Esoteric Team,

I am currently wondering if there are any issues in regards to creating animations in Spine for a sprite that may or may not be the exact size of the image that you may want to import into unity. Basically I am saying that I am not sure as to the size of the image that is going to work perfectly in my Scene and I do not know if creating animations for a smaller or larger model now will have repercussions later.

Tim
tjbrunetto

Pharan

Here are a few things to consider:
1. It's sort of good for your textures to be only slightly larger than your intended size in-game.
2. You can use a high-res texture in Spine and then export a lower resolution of the textures from Spine, for use in Unity, and it will work correctly.
2.1 But if the difference in resolution is big enough, your problem becomes a matter of the tolerances your art style allows-- eg, you might see unintended gaps between parts.
3. Skeletons are loaded with a user-defined scaling factor. By default, spine-unity imports skeletons with a 0.01 scale-- in other words, a 100 pixels per unit scale similar to Unity's default Sprite scale. You can change this to be a different factor.

So I think if you have a rough idea of what your resolution is but can't be too sure, work at a slightly higher resolution. Maybe 125% bigger. Then you can scale that down later. If you have to scale up a little, you'll have that bit of allowance.
This advice will change depending on your style, of course. Pixel art will be very unforgiving. And styles with precise line art will need the line thickness readjusted based on everything else.
Pharan

Pharan

tjbrunetto

Hi Pharan,

I really appreciate all of the information thanks so much. I figured as much but was hoping there was a quick work around!

Tim
tjbrunetto

Pharan

Work around for what?
Pharan

Pharan

tjbrunetto

Well I drew my images really large. My photoshop canvas size was 20 inches by 12 inches. I am now realizing that I should have been drawing in pixels this whole time. Anyways the images are massive. I believe now I am going to have to redraw the images entirely unless if you think I could shrink them down in photoshop to the desired pixel size and simply redraw the line work. If I could do that perhaps I could scale down the animations as well and make them work with my smaller image sizes?
tjbrunetto

Pharan

Why would you need to redraw the linework?
I mean I assume you were drawing in the way that it was supposed to look in-game.
If not, then you'd have to redraw anyway, even if this wasn't for Spine. There's no really workaround for that.

But as mentioned, you can use high-res textures in Spine and then just export the lower-resolution textures from there.
There's also no problem with working in Photoshop at 200% or 400% the intended game size. I think that's pretty typical.
But you would also typically export that scaled down before using it in Spine.

You could still use the original resolution in Spine but it would be a bit inconvenient as you'd keep zooming out and, depending on the computer you use, might be more of a video memory hog to work with. And, again, you'd have to see how the scaling down of the textures on export affects the tolerances of the parts based on the art style.

I'll see if @erikari or @shiu has some recent tips on how to handle resizing a skeleton if you've already created it.
Pharan

Pharan

Erikari

Hello tjbrunetto!
Here's a useful procedure to resize your skeleton if you worked with images alittle too huge: how to properly resize your project?
I usually keep them as they are and resize them in the Spine export, but if they're really huge, then why not resizing them to a more reasonable size. (:
Erikari

Erikari

tjbrunetto

Hi Erikari and Pharan,

I really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. I have been extremely impressed with your ability to help so many of us out on the forums and I just want to say thank you. I am going to try to export from Spine to Unity at a much lower scale via the link you sent me. Ill set the atlas size to .1, .2, .3 until I am close to seeing if I can make my sprite look the way I intended him to.

Tim

Edit: I reimported the sprite into my scene at .05 atlas size and it looks much better. I just now have to resize the entire layout of the level as it is way too big! Thanks again for the help.
tjbrunetto

Return to Unity