FogRyu

Hi everyone !

I got a problem with one character of our game. It has retractable arms that looks like robotic tentacles, a bit similar to the sentinel in Matrix or, Octopus on Spiderman. We want him to use those arm to activate different stuff on differentes scene.

As far as i tried :
- If i use bone :
- IK are only on two bones, but his tentacles got arround 40 bones ....
- If i try to play with the length of the tentacles (For the retractable part) he also change the width of it.

- If i use a path :
- It's way longer to animate than the bones.
- It gives an impression that the tentacle is advancing in a tube when the tentacle is retracted. But we can play with the lengh only and that's a good part.
- That's work well when we want to do a "floating" style to the tentacles, but not if we want to give a more natural and speed effect like the Sentinel in Matrix.

So, i'd like to know what should i use in Spine for this kind of animation, and how to use it. I got Spine some months ago, it's an amazing soft and i'm sure i missed something, that's why i'm asking for help here ^^.

I looked for some tutorial on this topic but i found nothing, so if you get something, i'll be happy to have a look.

Thanks everyone !
FogRyu

Nate

It may not match your needs, but the other day Shiu made a neat tentacle project:
https://twitter.com/Shiu413/status/877929596599062529
This is using a path and transform constraints. Using a path can probably work well for you, but some screenshots of your character and/or similar animations would help.
Nate

Nate

Fainder

I'm interested in this, since I need to animate a tail soon.
I tried using paths a while ago but I was just starting off with spine and didn't understand much.
If there's a tutorial or example file, I'm also interested!
Fainder

FogRyu

Thanks for the answer. Yeah it's not really what we want but could help, i asked Shiu on Twitter, thanks !

The closest idea we got for this character is octopus. We want this tentacles arms moving like his.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKdY-3T-Zp8

Precise mouvements, but with some quick ones sometime. Like Octopus. Sometime he use this arms to do precise and slow action and sometime he fight with it.

Transform constraint ? I never had to use them, so that probably the key. But i don't get how transform contraint can help me, any tips ?
FogRyu

Return to Editor