ps2invader

Hi Everyone,

I write this post because i need help with a critical bug.

We update Spine Plugin on our project and when build game i noticed an incredible drop on performance (from 324 fps to 70-90 fps) on high end PC, i also noticed the Tick time increase from 2-3ms to 10ms. (Command stat game)
After i noticed the drop i closed the game and game has crashed with this error
SpineErrors.PNG

The error is linked with the reallocation system of the engine and the Spine-C Source
To verify the error was caused by new runtimes i have restored an old version of runtimes (2-3 months ago) and the error disappear.
Unfortunately this issue is critical and block us to continue development with this version.

Fortunately with an old version of runtimes we can continue but is a huge limitation.

Other information about Engine version and PC specs:
Unreal Engine 4.18.3
Cpu: Core i7 5820k
Ram 16GB DDR4
GPU: AMD R9 290X

i hope can be fixed Soon
ps2invader

scardario

Hi, did you check this thread?:

http://esotericsoftware.com/forum/UE4-Lag-in-Editor-from-Spine-Objects-9756

It seems that Spine mesh collision is causing performance issues, I don't know if it's only the most recent version or if the problem goes back.
scardario

ps2invader

Hi scardario, Thanks for the reply!

I've tried the solution in the thread and the performance issue was almost solved (from 70-90fps to 250fps) but the error and crash when i close the game remain.

Thanks again for your support!

---

New Update,

i made a test to verify this corrupt reallocation on the memory:

This are the steps:

- Create a Build of game with last spine runtime.
- Close Unreal engine 4 Editor and restart pc (To clean any Ram garbage from editor and cooking)
- When PC is on start the build game and after 30 sec close it. (Unreal engine editor must be closed)

When i made this step i notice the problem not appear before the second or third run.

I inspect the Ram and Process explorer of windows and i find this:
ProblemThread.PNG

Every time you start the game Unreal made 2 Process normaly :
- The Game (in my case RimandatoASettembreDev)
- The Build folder Executable, aka Game Launcher (in my case AAI_Sample.exe)

This bug prevent Unreal or Windows to terminate correctly the Threads and when you close the game they remains stuck until you terminate by hand.

I swap the Spine plugin to an older version and this problem disappear.

I hope this can help.

---

i see now there is a bug section in the forum.
I ask to move the topic on that section if is possible.
Thanks and sorry for the mistake

---

Up
ps2invader

badlogic

ps2invader, could you please provide us with a reproduction sample for the crash?

The mesh collision performance issue is a long standing problem found in the RuntimeMeshComponent we use to draw arbitrary meshes fast. The maintainer of this OSS project is working on an update which should include a fix for the performance issue.
badlogic

Mario

ps2invader

Here a link with 2D sample project of Unreal with Spine Plugin Inside.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z7I2tyh1Wtj6y-xbESt-JNmURCCCrvlT
To reproduce issue you simply have to build or launch the game (not use Play in editor but Launch button) and after first or second run you will experiment the crash.
ps2invader

badlogic

Thanks for the repro. I've pushed fixes to the 3.6 and 3.7-beta branch. Please give them a try and let me know if you run into any other issues.
badlogic

Mario

ps2invader

Thanks,
Now the error is fixed :)
ps2invader

Return to Bugs