Here's the intro episode.
- Spine used for the main character rig with PNG sequence export.
- The facial animation (lips, expressions) are handled in a custom web-based tool I wrote.
- Comping and other animation is in After Effects.
The latest AtB cartoon. I'm on a mission to make one a week...
As mentioned before, the workflow is a mix of Spine and After Effects animation, with the main Jamie character being mostly Spine-animated.
For this cartoon, I had some smaller character animations I thought I could do more quickly in AE, but... Nope. It's a major pain to fiddle with hiearchies of layers in AE that define a rig. Also, audio scrubbing after SO MANY YEARS is still not available in AE.
So my lesson here is to move animation authoring with more than a few moving parts or significant audio timing into Spine.
Learning from last week’s hassles with complicated rigs in After Effects, I decided to put all the animation for the scene in Spine with the exception of some pans and the credits screen. It worked much more easily.