DoobyDude

I decided to bite the bullet recently and decided to give Unity a proper go - I've toyed with it before but always went back to other frameworks and languages as I mostly prefer 2D stuff.

I have got the spine-unity run time working, doing basic things like changing animations, flipping etc and all seems to be going well - although I'm still very much a Unity / C# noob!

However I have seen Playmaker mentioned a lot and praised for timesaving in regards to FSMs.

I've done a search on here and the threads mentioning Spine animations being supported in PlayMaker are all at least ~6mths old.

So I was wondering if anyone has any recent updates on (a) if it's still possible after 6mths of updates in Spine / Unity / Playmaker since those posts, and (b) if anyone can point me to any information, guides, files, videos etc on the subject.

I don't want to spend £60 on PlayMaker only for it to be useless in terms of working with Spine, it seems such a perfect fit to have Spine characters controlled with a visual design based FSM.

Thanks.
DoobyDude

Abelius

Hi,

I've been on the same boat as you for some months now.

There's no built in Spine support in core PlayMaker, nor in its Ecosystem (community provided actions), as seen here...:

Also, the only asset that added custom actions was pulled off the Asset Store because it became incompatible and its author didn't updated it. Mind that Spine is constantly evolving and its Unity Runtimes are also bound to change, messing up those custom actions in the process.

So whoever want to have Spine support would need to change those scripts from time to time, which is a catch 22 situation as most people who use PlayMaker have little or no programming experience (my own case), while programmers wouldn't see a reason for spending time updating action scripts for a plugin that they don't need nor want.

So in short, we're screwed. :p

I'm sure you've found these here...: PLAYMAKER Integration

...but the only actions I've been able to salvage as valid are 'Animation' and 'Slot' actions, and I still needed to modify the first to serve my purposes. And it's not pretty code, I assure you. :$

I'm attaching it anyway, just in case you find it useful...

Maybe I'll spend some more time tinkering with this in the (far) future, but I'm not particularly knowledgeable in C# and I don't need more than this for the time being.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Abelius

DoobyDude

Hey Abelius,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and attach those files.

I'm primarily a coder (not C# though), so thought that using PlayMaker might lower the difficulty curve during my start to learning Unity. However I don't want to give up Spine as I love it, so I guess you've just saved me from wasting £60 on PlayMaker - thanks! :)

Looks like I'll dive in at the deep end, I have read the unity-spine documentation page, but do you know if there is a function list, "how-to guide" or anything similar available for beginners to look at?

If not I'll make a new post with a relevant thread title, but thought it was worth asking as you said you have been in a similar position to me (maybe minus the coding).

Thanks again for your time.
DoobyDude

Abelius

Yup, you definitely need to start here...: Applying Animations - Spine Runtimes Guide

And then here for more in-depth topics...: API Reference - Spine Runtimes Guide

Not that I am an expert, I tell you, but I have a coder colleague that have seemed to manage with those two pages for now... ;)
Abelius

DoobyDude

Abelius wrote:Yup, you definitely need to start here...: Applying Animations - Spine Runtimes Guide

And then here for more in-depth topics...: API Reference - Spine Runtimes Guide

Not that I am an expert, I tell you, but I have a coder colleague that have seemed to manage with those two pages for now... ;)
Awesome, thank you! :)

Hopefully I'll be able to return the favour at some point in the future :)
DoobyDude

Abelius

Don't know if you're subscribed to this topic, but I've just modified 'SpineSlotAction' to accept Skin changes. It was pretty easy and it seems to work. :p

Cya.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Abelius

Dmitriy Makeyev

Hello everybody! I'm not a programmer but something I did for my game :) Sort layers. Is welcomed any update of this script. I also search for the script to work with the Event, any action with clear (audio playback, animation, etc.)
Dmitriy Makeyev

kosukito

i made this action script to set the animations... the forced duration has being useful to me.

Give me some feedback if you find some problems on it
kosukito

Return to Unity