tinyknees

Hey there! This is pretty complicated, so I will try to keep my explanation simple. Let me know if you need more clarification!

I have two master controls that I'm using to move a bunch of bones around (I'll attach a screenshot).

control_path is the parent and is constrained to a path. This is moving the head around on a smooth loop for our idle animations. It's moving from 0 > 100 on the path, so it loops indefinitely.

control_master is the child control and NOT constrained to a path. We are moving this around freely and keying it for our reaction animations. In this case, we want the parent control (what we're using for idles) to basically do nothing.

I set it up this way because we need both 1) a bone to move on a path 2) a bone to move freely.

The problem: We want to be able to interrupt an idle animation with a react. So wherever control_path is sitting at that point in time, we want it to leave that path and blend in a straight line to where the control_master is keyed for the reaction anim. It seems to me that when a bone is constrained, it is always constrained. Is there a way to detach it?

We've been trying this a few ways - both on the same track & reacts on a higher track and we're seeing a hard cut from one position to the other & no blending. We also need to blend other bones, so we are thinking that we'll need to use the same track.

Here's a video of how both controls work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2E2rSrYAKvQTC1ZNV9uZlRDa1U/view?usp=sharing
Attachments
controls.png
tinyknees

Pharan

Are you saying you can't just key the rotate/translate mix on the Path Constraint to zero so it goes back to where it should be without the constraint?

firefox_2017-09-06_04-48-58.png
Pharan

Pharan

tinyknees

Hey Pharan! Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize I could do that!

Is there a way to set this to 0 automatically if I trigger an interruption/blend with another animation? In other words, if the path constraint is always at 100 normally, but then when another animation kicks in, switch that to 0?
tinyknees

Pharan

I suppose the other way to look at it is that you can set its value to 0 in Setup Mode, which will make that default.
And then key the value to 100 in Animate Mode only in the animations that need it.

Or 100 in Setup Mode, and key it to 0 for the animations that don't need it.
Either way will work.
Pharan

Pharan

tinyknees

Thanks Pharan! This was all very helpful :)
tinyknees

Return to Unity