My first runtime was written Lua and used native Moai classes for animation. The performance was awesome, something about 5-10x faster than official Lua runtime (since all the heavy math was done in C++ by Moai internals). But it was really hard to keep features in sync with Spine editor, so I decided to write a C++ Spine bindings.
- Bindings for official C-runtime. Native performance without overhead
- Convenient MOAISpineSkeleton class (subclass of MOAIProp) with animation helpers
- Procedural animation support - you can get instance of MOAIBone (inherited from MOAITransform) by name and link attributes, apply ease driver animations, etc.
- Same applies to slots - animate visibility and color
- Custom texture loader callback in MOAISpine to implement texture cache
This is a Moai plugin that works with plugin system from v1.5: